Elly's Blog

Just another global2.vic.edu.au site

Big Idea – Term 3

The Olympics – History, Georgraphy, and Economics

This term our focus in Big Idea is – The Olympics. With a sub focus in Histroy, Geography and Economics. The first week of term we were tuned into the topic by completing 5 rotations….

1. Olympic History – We watch a video about the ancient olympics and all the events and the rules.

• I learnt that only the men were aloud to compete and that no girls could come to watch and only the men arounf Greece participated.
  • I also learnt that you came as an individual not as a country, and that there was a lot of cheating and bribre.

2. British and Eurpoean History – We watched a Horrible Historys episode.

• I learnt that if the people in France didn’t agree with their ruler that their heads would get chopped of.
  • I also learnt that the Vikings ruled Britain.

3. Australian History –  We had to list all of the thing that we could think of that have happened in Australia then choose one of them and investigate further.

• I learnt that in 1921 Australian population reached 5 million.
  • I also learnt that in 1923 Vegemite was first produced.

4. Economics –  We atched a prezi and then had a talk about all the money that is spend for the Olympics, then we had a debate on if Melbourne should hold the Olympics or not, I went on the side that Melbourne shouldn’t hold the Olympics.

• I learnt that only 3 countrys can bid to host the Olympics and that if you bid and lose your country lose’s that money.
  • I learnt that the 2016 Olympic games are in Rio de Janeiro.

5. Geography – We had to list all of the countrys that have hosted the olympics and then find their most famous landmark and other things like that.

• I learnt that the first ever modern olympics was in 1896 in Athens.
  • I also learnt that Melbourne held the Olympics in 1956.

For the rest of the term I am going to follow my interests to link in with our topic of The Olympics and complete 3 tasks that I have negotiated with a 5/6 teacher.

Negotiated task 1History: I am going to make 2 cubes, and on one of then some information and a picture of the modern games, and on the other some information and a picture of the ancient games.

Negotiated task 2Georgraphy: I am going to find 3 contrys that have held the Olympics that I have never heard of and find their most famous athlete and some other information.

Negotiated task 3Economics: I am going to plan a trip from my house to London and go to the gymnastics swimming and running, and find out the cost of my hole trip.

TO GET THESE TASKS COMPLETE I NEED TO:
Negotiated task 1 History: Make 2 cubes, and on one of then some information and a picture of the modern games, and on the other some information and a picture of the ancient games.

Negotiated task 2 Georgraphy:  Find 3 contrys that have held the Olympics that I have never heard of and find their most famous athlete and some other information.

Negotiated task 3Economics:  Plan a trip from my house to London and go to the gymnastics swimming and running, and find out the cost of my hole trip.

Week 5, 6, 7, and 8

I’ve completed my geography which was to find 3 contrys that have held the Olympics that I have never heard of and find their most famous athlete from that country and the top 5 most famous landmarks, I’ve completed my history which was to make 2 cubes, and on one of the cubes some information and a picture of the modern games, and on the other some information and a picture of the ancient games and I’m almost finished my economics which is to plan a trip from my house to London and go to all of the gymnastics, and find out the cost of my hole trip.

Where are my visitors from